Tuesday, June 28, 2011

The Tate Britain


I haven't been to a museum for a while. To tell you the truth, I thought I was "cultured out" when it came to them. But one biggie I hadn't yet got to was the Tate Britain. Many of my favorite paintings are hanging there, although Dante Rossetti's "Beata Beatrix" was not up, alas. They did have "The Beloved," a work derived from The Song of Solomon and not nearly as eye-catching, however. But I didn't mind at all, because on the same wall were Ophelia by John Everett Millais, The Lady of Shalott by John William Waterhouse, and King Cophetua and the Begger Maid by Burne-Jones.

Pretty awesome. I sat and stared at them for a while, but after a bit, you begin thinking, "Well, now what?" So...I got out my sketch pad, and started sketching Lady of Shalott. Up above is my go at a cartoonish version of it. You can see the Waterhouse in the background.



There were some interesting newer works, too. One that caught my eye was a large work called Top Gun, which was a 5'x10' poster that had the plot and dialogue to the movie of the same name scrawled on it in pencil. One of those, "What's so special about that; anyone could do THAT" items that no one has actually done before, so when I go back to the States and do it with, say, "The Usual Suspects," or "The A-Team."

Finally, here's a picture for Piper, who likes to joke about how great Joseph Stalin is, just to get her parents' goat. It's Peter Peri's "Stalin I."



Stalin is a great guy

No comments:

Post a Comment