Sunday, June 19, 2011

Into the Hellfire Caves

I was very excited to be going to West Wycombe today for a number of reasons. The first was to see the cricket match between the P.G. Wodehouse Society (Gold Bats) and the Sherlock Holmes Club. Secondly, it was cricket...can't very well have a Wooster-like protagonist without having seen an afternoon of cricket. Finally, it was the first chance I had to try out my BritRail pass.

It was not meant to be. They cancelled the match, which I would have known had I been checking their website.

Fortunately, West Wycombe is also home to the infamous Hellfire Club. Not the one with the luscious Emma Frost, though, I'm afraid, but the 18th century collection of rakes whose motto was "Friendship and Liberty," and were reputed to have committed all kinds of hedonistic and Satanic acts deep within the caverns. Benjamin Franklin, who said "all cats are gray in the dark," was good friends with one of the key members, a Dashwood dude.

The caves stretch on for about a quarter-mile, and descend the entire way. Unlike American attractions of this ilk, the Britons are not as preoccupied with patron safety; it was quite dark, and owing to the coolness and dampness, the cave floors were quite slick. SPOOKY!

Here are some views:



And at the end...The Inner Temple! Sort of like The Champagne Room of 18th Century England.


In closing, well worth the admission price. And afterwards, you can climb the hundreds of meters up to the abandoned walls and church topping the hill, from where you can see the two Wycombes. Be careful, though, it's a grueling trek, especially if you had previously hiked in from the other Wycombe (not recommended).



And good news! The train people never checked my ticket! I wonder if I can weasel a free day later. And Wagamama's is delicious.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Sounds like a great day. Yummmmm Wagamama's!
    Wish I was there :)

    ReplyDelete