Sunday, June 26, 2011

Forbidden Planet


When I was back in Indiana, planning this trip, I promised myself that before I left London, I would visit Forbidden Planet, London's biggest and coolest comic book store. It did not disappoint, and was easily 4-6 times the size of any comic book store I've ever been in. The top floor is dedicated to action figures, figurines, t-shirts, posters, collectibles (they had a 1:1 scale model of Boba Fett, worth nearly a thousand pounds) behind glass, and lots of odds and ends ranging from ridiculously expensive to pocket change.

The basement has thousands of comics, graphic novels, regular science fiction novels, manga, patridges in pair trees...but no "Executive Assistant: Iris," unfortunately. The search continues.

I also wanted to see a show on the West End. Well, mission accomplished there, too. Options included "Wicked," that play about Queen, "Priscilla: Queen of the Desert," and a bunch of other things I was neither interested in nor could afford, half-price or otherwise. So...I went to see "Kung Fu Panda 2." It was in 3D, but not nearly as entertaining as the first. It sets up a third movie in the final frames, and was passable amusement. Lacked the spontaneity and energy of the first. I wish the theater had been air-conditioned (I'm used to that as an American), and no doubt I paid way too much for the ticket. Nevertheless, done and done.

1 comment:

  1. That pic of you with the idol and the Stay-Pufts is epic. If you have time to get back to Forbidden Planet, I highly recommend snagging a few issues of Britain's own "2000 A.D."

    ReplyDelete