Sunday, June 5, 2011

10 Days Until London


A good night to read last night, as the ferocious storm halted our power for about 12 hours. I rather like reading by candlelight, even though reading a Kindle with medieval technology seemed like an anachronism.

What did I read? Several things. I spent quite a bit of time rereading Ghosty: This Fenceless World for the dual purposes of getting a second, better Smashwords copy online, and ultimately a better print version; as well as refamiliarizing myself with the first book of the trilogy for the sake of finishing the third. The point of the trip is research, after all, and I found myself thinking about Oxford and walking in Bingo Elkins's footsteps.

I also read from Washington Irving's "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow," which I've never actually read before. I've taught "The Devil and Tom Walker" a number of times, but have never read this American classic. Irving may have loved to hammer home the stereotype about hectoring women, but he was really skilled at painting a character sketch. Incidentally, in my mind's eye, it didn't look anything like this.

I also continued reading The Count of Monte Cristo. Dumas really knows how to keep a plot rolling along quickly. We should all do so well.

Lesson learned? Always make sure your Kindle is charged up (just in case), and have an ample supply of candles and matches available for emergencies.

No comments:

Post a Comment