Wednesday, June 8, 2011

1 Week to London



Time's running out on preparation, and the schedule is starting to firm up a bit. One item that has been added recently is a jaunt to Port Isaac in Cornwall. For those of you who have seen BBC's "Doc Martin," one of the costars of this quirky show is the picturesque Cornish seaside town of Port Isaac, known as Portwenn on the show.

Do what you need to do to see it. Martin Clunes, who played Barmy Fotheringy-Phipps on the old Jeeves and Wooster series and one of the leads on the original BBC production of "Men Behaving Badly," stars as a transplanted bigshot London doctor put back in his Cornish hometown as a GP. Unbeknownst (for a while) to the town, he has developed a case of haemophobia, but that is nothing compared to his abrasive, Dr. House-like bedside manner. The show is peopled with hilarious small-town quirky characters. Some people will complain about the languid pace for a medical procedural, but I think it's charming and totally fitting. You will want to move there!

I'll be hitting it late this month, and supposedly they will still be shooting the latest season of it when I get there. Supposedly townspeople and tourists are often used for extras. I have to admit that would be pretty cool.

Since there are no quick ways to get there from London (the closest I can approach by rail is Bodmin), I decided this morning to RENT A CAR, something I had originally committed to avoid. Bodmin is about 20 miles away by car, and after I've tired of Port Isaac, I can go out to the Bodmin Moors and see what a moor is. Perhaps I can even get a picture of THE BEAST OF BODMIN.

What I've found strange, however, is that that addition to my itinerary was a lot easier to add than another desired location, Portmeirion in Wales, the home of the Italianate villa known to fans of "The Prisoner," but more on that next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment