Saturday, August 27, 2011

12 July 2011, Portmeirion

"Who are you?"
"I am the new number two."
"Who is Number One?"
"You are Number Six."
"I am not a number! I am a free man!"



If you're going to Portmeirion hoping to see Prisoner stuff, you will be disappointed. I was rarely disappointed by anything I saw in the UK, but this was one of those times. The Prisoner Shop is not in Number Six's quarters, as the guidebooks claim, and if it weren't for this modest place, you'd never know a cult TV program had been filmed there.



This is a good thing and a bad thing, I suppose. Based on its own merits, it's an attractive enough attraction, but I wouldn't make the trek unless you were a huge fan of Italianate architecture or had a Prisoner convention to attend.



If you want to go to Wales, go to Snowdonia, or some of the castles there, or the ruins of Tintern Abbey if you want to see something remote and not crowded by tourists.




No comments:

Post a Comment